location of german war graves

For local stories, memories and Information of the RAF bases and their crews.
scotty

location of german war graves

Post by scotty » Sun May 04, 2008 11:47 am

i am in need of some information, as regarding the location of some german war graves, they crashed in carnaby but were buried elsewhere, prob to the south, somewhere along the hull road. me grandad took me many years ago and cant remember the village but can just make out the church.its just off a main road and there are at least 4-5 german aircrew buried at the back of the church...any help would be brilliant

peter scott
peter scott

Rod Hebblewhite

Post by Rod Hebblewhite » Sun May 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Brandesburton churchyard is the last resting place of 13 German airmen? killed during the war.

ml60n

Post by ml60n » Sun May 04, 2008 7:11 pm

I think you will find that all German war graves have been re interned at the German Military Cemetary at Cannock Chase. This was carried out around 1967 and holds some 5,000 German casualties of WW2.

scotty

Post by scotty » Sun May 11, 2008 5:59 pm

i am pleased to say that the german airmen are at brandesburton!!quote:Originally posted by scotty
i am in need of some information, as regarding the location of some german war graves, they crashed in carnaby but were buried elsewhere, prob to the south, somewhere along the hull road. me grandad took me many years ago and cant remember the village but can just make out the church.its just off a main road and there are at least 4-5 german aircrew buried at the back of the church...any help would be brilliant

peter scott

peter scott
peter scott

historyman

Post by historyman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:30 pm

re .the German air crew at Brandesburton, they are still buied there .
most of the Germans buried in East Yorkshire were dissinterred in December 1966 and their remains were taken to Cannock and some were even sent back to Germany if the families could afford the costs.
it would appear that the Air Crew in the church yard have been forgotten about or it was deceided to let them rest, I think they should stay were they are after all these years.
I was present at Bridlington when the remains of the German air crews [ who were shot down after they had .just bombed Driffield airfield ] were removed , it was a bit strange to witness this event.
the R.A.F man K.E. New , who was killed in the same raid is still buried in the same section as the Germans who killed him !

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:01 am

One is oddly named 'Willy London' isn't he?

bernie svenson

Post by bernie svenson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 am

Peter, there are some german aircrew buried in the military cemetary in the church groundc in Barmby moor near pocklinton

historyman

Post by historyman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Reply to KITTY, ON FRIDAY 9TH MAY THE GERMANS RAIDED THE CITY OF HULL ,AN HEINKLE HE II WERK NR 4042 AI+ CW . WAS CHASED BY A DEFIANT WHICH SHOT DOWN THE BOMBER WHICH CRASHED NEAR PATRINGTON , THE PILOT[HELMUT TESCHKE ] WAS THE ONLY SURVIVOR THE REST OF THE CREW PERISHED IN THE FLAMES .

AND ARE STILL BURIED AT BRANDESBURTON.WILLI LONDON , JOHANNES KAMINSKI, HANS STIEGLITZ, AND HERMAN DECKER