102 squadron :Owen Horrigan and Vincent Barr N1383

For local stories, memories and Information of the RAF bases and their crews.
Chris Beith

102 squadron :Owen Horrigan and Vincent Barr N1383

Post by Chris Beith » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:13 pm

I wonder if anyone has any information about my uncle, F.O. Owen Horrigan, who was shot down in Whitley bomber No N1383 over Aalborg on the 26th April 1940. He was based at Driffield and was with 102 squadron. On the evening of 25th April the crew took off from RAF Kinloss (a temporary 102 squadron base during the Scandinavian occupations). Of the crew of five only Sgt. Vincenbt Herbert Barr was able to bail out, the rest were killed on impact over Denmark. Sgt. Barr was eventually captured by German soldiers and spent the rest of the war as a POW.
I would very much like to hear from anyone who knew my uncle at Driffield or if anyone has any information concerning Vincent Barr or of his accounts of N1383's final mission. Thank you,

Chris Beith
Chris Beith

Neilw

Post by Neilw » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 pm

not sure if you aware but N1383 crashed on store vildmose, contact had been lost at 0244. Apparently German Radio reprted bomber shotb down near Aalborg.

Neil
Neil

Chris Beith

Post by Chris Beith » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Neil, thank you for your reply. I have actually visited the scene of the crash at Store Vildmose and the graves at Vadum near Aalborg in Denmark where 4 of the crew of N1383 are buried. Locally there is great reverence for the RAF especially to those who gave their lives and the graves are tended beautifully. A well attended and very moving formal ceremony by the local Danish Air Force is performed three times a year. There is a lot of information about this mission available from Danish locals, including a chapter in a book as well as formal RAF records. Although I have letters from Vincent Barr from POW camps to the mother of F.O. Owen Horrigan, I have no information about what happended before take off or during the flight. I suspect that Vincent Barr may have spoken of such issues to his family after his return to the UK after the war. So far I have not been able to contact him (if still alive) or any family member. Again, thank you for your message. Chris

aquote:Originally posted by Neilw
not sure if you aware but N1383 crashed on store vildmose, contact had been lost at 0244. Apparently German Radio reprted bomber shotb down near Aalborg.

Neil

Chris Beith
Chris Beith

Neilw

Post by Neilw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:02 pm

chris - have few thoughts on tracing if you want to get in touch neil-sueato2dotcodotuk

Neil
Neil