158 Squadron - Kenneth Ealy OCLEE

For local stories, memories and Information of the RAF bases and their crews.
Colins

158 Squadron - Kenneth Ealy OCLEE

Post by Colins » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:12 pm

I am trying to find out some information about a relative who was killed in WW2. All I know about him is that he is Kenneth Ealy OCLEE, Sergeant Gunner 1721802, 158 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

He died in action on 22.3.1944 and is buried at Reichswald Forest cemetery. Can anyone let me know what raid etc he was on and how he was killed (i.e. shot down, crashed etc).

Any information you can supply would be most helpful and appreciated.

DriffieldOnline

Post by DriffieldOnline » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Hello Colins, Welcome to the Driffield Online forums,

Have you seen the Letters which are catalogued online by the Letter in the Attic Website it shows letters, diaries and other personal papers related to Brighton and Hove. The collection was created through an appeal to the public during 2007-8.

See - http://catalogue.communitysites.co.uk/v ... _1589.aspx

A letter describes life in the mess and looks forward to leave. Kenneth Ealy Oclee was shot down and killed three days after the letter was sent on 22 March, he was 19 years old. KEO was a rear gunner flying in Handley Page Halifax aircraft of No 158 Squadron RAF. The squadron was based at Lissett near Driffield in Yorkshire. PJL, brother of Victor William Lander, was a ground crew electrician with No 102 Squadron based at Pocklington Near York in Yorkshire. PJL and KEO had joined the fore-runner of the Air Training Corps in 1938. They both lived in Brighton, PJL in Whitehawk Road and KEO in Rugby Place.

The letter mentions that he had just done his sixth operation. Sadly KEO and five of his crewmates were killed when shot down on their eighth operation to Frankfurt on the 22nd March 1944. In his letter KEO refers to Melborne, this was another airfield in Yorkshire. He also refers to, Mk IIIA's, MkII's And II's , these were different marks of the Halifax bomber.

quote:1721802 Sgt Oclee K
Sergeants Mess
RAF station Lissett
Nr Driffield
East Yorks

Dear Ace

Just a few lines to let you know I am O.K and am getting on alright. Sorry I have not written before but you now how things are.

Well, 158 is not so bad, the staff, kites, everything is up to scratch. They had MkIIIA’s when I got here, you know the radial jobs, boy are they good, leave the old II’s standing.

Went to Melborne the other day , no ops on so they got us ferrying aircraft to Melborne (they have only just got the III’s).

Well my leave is in three weeks time, April 8th fourteen days so if you can get any time in that period, very good.

Quite a bad raid they had back home two weeks ago, did you see the photos in the paper.

We have been on the French trips lately, piece of cake, but the dark nights are not far off and longer trips.

We have only lost one kite since I have been here, ten weeks now, that was on the last Berlin.

I have done my sixth last night, quite an old hand now.

Well must close now. Remember me to the folks at home when you write.

I may be lucky and see you on leave, have a crafty game of snooker.

Cheerio.

Your old pal

Ken