104 Squadron / RAF Driffield

For local stories, memories and Information of the RAF bases and their crews.
Mike Felmeri

104 Squadron / RAF Driffield

Post by Mike Felmeri » Mon Aug 21, 2000 9:52 pm

I understand that 104 Squadron RAF was stationed near Driffield during the period 04/41 to 14/02/42.

My late uncle was stationed there during this period I was wondering whether there are any local stories or other memories of the RAF base and it's crew.

If possible can the base still be visited or are there any other memorabilia from this period such as photos?

I hope that you can help and thank you for your time.

Regards

Mike Felmeri.

David Brown

Post by David Brown » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:07 pm

Driffield Airbase: I am also looking for information about this airbase. My mother worked in the Canteen there, ad my father was a dispatch rider.

If anyone has any information, especially to Keith Brown and/or Olive Redshaw, it would be appreaciated.

Thanks David Brown, Canada

janhumph

Post by janhumph » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:01 pm

quote:
Contact me I have news.
my dad was in this squadron, first at pocklington airfield, then at driffield. Would you have any infromation you would be bale to pass onto me?? I really would be most grateful

janhumph

Post by janhumph » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:04 pm

quote:
I understand that 104 Squadron RAF was stationed near Driffield during the period 04/41 to 14/02/42.

My late uncle was stationed there during this period I was wondering whether there are any local stories or other memories of the RAF base and it's crew.

If possible can the base still be visited or are there any other memorabilia from this period such as photos?

Regards

Mike Felmeri.

janhumph

Post by janhumph » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:06 pm

quote:

Regards

Mike Felmeri.
I asked my mum about your querry and this was her reply, do you have anymore information on the squadron??
Dad was with R.A.F.Squadron 104 in 1941!!!!!at Driffield Aerodrome as
it was called then. Probably called Airport now if it is still there. He was
sent out to Malta when the seige of Malta was on, and later he was shot down
in North Africa and Taken Prisoner of War for 3 and a half years.In
Poland,Italy etc, can't remember any other places at the moment. Actually he
was stationed at Pocklington Aerodrome (where he met me)!!and Enid my
friend and I took him to Driffield the night he went there.They were bombing
Hull very badly as we drove along and had to drive with half lights there.

He was known as 'Taffy' Humphreys

Adrian Lee

Post by Adrian Lee » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:54 am

My Father-in-Law, JACK WILLIAM HARRIS served with 104 Squadron, flying Wellingtons, at Driffield, before postings to Malta and North Africa. Now aged 82 and still going strong, living a few miles from me. Any contacts from those who knew him in those days appreciated.

cadet

Post by cadet » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:49 pm

I go to the camp twice a week as i am a cadet what would you like to know?

Eddie Fell

Post by Eddie Fell » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:25 am

104 Sqn reformed at Driffield on 7/3/41 flying Wellington II aircraft. On 14/10/41 15 aircraft were detached to Luqa. On 14/2/42 the home echelon was renumbered as 158 Sqn. For those with an interest in RAF Driffield I recommend 'Strong Foundations' by Simmons and Abraham which gives the history from 1917 to 2000.

militarymike

Post by militarymike » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:51 am

Hello my name is Mike and I am new to this forum,I am trying to find out any information regarding 104 Squadron,who I believe may have been stationed in Malta during WW11.My reason for my research,is that I am trying to find out details of my Uncle who was killed in action,while stationed at Malta.
His details are - 928300,Flight Sergeant Godfrey Jones Oliver.104 Squ.R.A.F.Volunteer Reserve.He died on the 24th March 1944.I also believe he may have been a rear gunner(Not sure which aircraft though).If any body has any information or stories I would really be grateful.best wishes to everyone on this forum from Mike ( ex Army - hope thats ok.)

There names shall live for ever.

afjobson

Post by afjobson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:02 pm

[I see that back in March 2003 Ardian Lee was asking if anyone knew Jack Harris that flew with 104 in north africa. My father flew with 104 in 1942 in N. Africa.I have his flight log If it might help Adrian please get intouch. Was Jack a pilot? regards Alan

alan
alan