Halifax HR715 /"E"/158 SQ. F.T.R. 29/09/43.

For local stories, memories and Information of the RAF bases and their crews.
lisset158

Halifax HR715 /"E"/158 SQ. F.T.R. 29/09/43.

Post by lisset158 » Thu May 22, 2003 4:55 pm

Would like to hear from anyone who might have a photograph of this airacraft or any photos taken at Lisset durring the war.
My interest/ connection. My late uncle was an Air Gunner with Sgt. Maclaren's crew ..they arrived at Lisset on 10/09/43 flying three ops , they went missing on their thrid to Bochum on 29/09/43 , shot down by Vlieland West Marine Flak Batterie in bound over the Dutch Coast.
All crew killed , Sgt J.D. Stewart's body was cast ashore on Amelan on 04 /10/43....his body was the only trace of the aircraft or crew recovered , he is buried in Nes General Cemetery.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who served at Lisset as air or ground crew or any local people who have memories of the base and those who served there.

I have been to lisset twice , most recently last September and to Ameland (2nd time) in May of this year.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

historyman

Post by historyman » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:58 pm

Hailifax hr 715. one of a batch 48, mark ii hr711 hr 758. delivered
between 18 2 1943 and 24 3 1943. this aircraft was delivered to158 sqad at Lissett. and was allocated the code number NP-A ,flying 2 ops. under this code .The codewas then changed to NP-Z under which it flew a further 27 ops. before being lost under this code on the n
ight of 29.30 Sept.1943 as NP-e. Twelve 158 aircraft of a total of 130 aircraft took part in this operation of which two did not continue the operation . this missing aircraft being one of six lost out of the 130 taking part.
the crew , pilot Sgt.W.F. Maclaren., F E. Sgt. E.J. Hall ., Nav. F.S. , H. Robertson ., Bomm Aimer , Sgt. P,C. Du-Plat- Taylor.,W.O.Sgt.E.S. Sheppard., Mid Upper Gunner , Sgt.J.D. Stewart.,Rear Gunner , Sgt. V.H. Bartlett.

historyman

Post by historyman » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:05 pm

this information was passed on to me by a mr Frank Agar ,a Bridlington historian , the rear gunner may have fallen from the air craft or been at the rear of the plane when it possibly dived in to the north sea , so his was the only body recovered to wash up .
I hope all this is of sme interrest , Historyman. Brid.

lisset158

Post by lisset158 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:12 am

having given a little thought to how Sgt Stewart was released from the aircraft it may be that when the aircraft crashed the perspex dome of his turret was smashed and his body was released , the remainder of the crew would have been concentrated in the nose section of the aircraft and the rear gunner behind the closed doors of his turret.
This may account for only Jimmy's body being released from the aircraft.

neiltoogood

Post by neiltoogood » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:42 am

quote:Originally posted by lisset158
Would like to hear from anyone who might have a photograph of this airacraft or any photos taken at Lisset durring the war.
My interest/ connection. My late uncle was an Air Gunner with Sgt. Maclaren's crew ..they arrived at Lisset on 10/09/43 flying three ops , they went missing on their thrid to Bochum on 29/09/43 , shot down by Vlieland West Marine Flak Batterie in bound over the Dutch Coast.
All crew killed , Sgt J.D. Stewart's body was cast ashore on Amelan on 04 /10/43....his body was the only trace of the aircraft or crew recovered , he is buried in Nes General Cemetery.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who served at Lisset as air or ground crew or any local people who have memories of the base and those who served there.

I have been to lisset twice , most recently last September and to Ameland (2nd time) in May of this year.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

neiltoogood

Post by neiltoogood » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:45 am

Good Morning,

My father was in this Squadron.....i have lots of history....log book, photo's etc. How big is your interest in 158?
Regards Neil Toogood

Eddie Fell

Post by Eddie Fell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Neil

Your father must be Leslie John Edward Toogood (Navigator). I would be very interested in making contact with you. My e mail is EddieFellATaol.com (replacing AT with the obvious)

Cheers

Eddie

t1968

Post by t1968 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Greetings Neil,

I came across your post and I am interested in learning more about the aicraft of 158 Squadron. In particular, I am a hobbyist and in researching my latest subject, I found that the Halifaxes of 158 Squadron seemed to bear a rather unique feature. Unlike most Halifaxes whose landing gear was painted black just like the underside of the aircraft, those of 158 Squadron appear to be painted a lighter color. Sometimes, in the case of the famous Friday the 13th, the undercarriage was painted a solid color, but other planes were painted with a variety of stripes. The big question is, what color were they painted? I've turned up many old black and white photos that indicate this, but so far I have only been able to guess at the color. The only wartime color photo I have found of a 158 S plane unfortunately did not include a look at the undercarriage.

I was wondering if perhaps the records you may have gathered might shed some light on this issue. While a color photo would be the "holy grail", even black and white photos or written descriptions are useful, as they provide further evidence of what I have uncovered so far.

Thanks very much!

Terry Garrard

quote:Originally posted by neiltoogood
Good Morning,

My father was in this Squadron.....i have lots of history....log book, photo's etc. How big is your interest in 158?
Regards Neil Toogood

SueG

Post by SueG » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 am

For Neil Toogood.

Could you please contact me on sgascoyne@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Sue
Sue