Ulrome erosion website -

General discussion, News, Appeals, Announcements, etc. from Villages in and around the Yorkshire Wolds

Ulrome erosion website -

Postby ulrome erosion » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:18 pm

Hello everyone, Hope you all had a good Christmas :-)
The development of a Website concerning coastal erosion near Ulrome is at http://ruatliberty.com/ulrome/ We would be happy to accept any suggestions for new material. Any ideas? Anyone?
P.S. I know it is a few days early, but that me wish you all a happy new year for 2008
ulrome erosion

Postby ulrome erosion » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:28 pm

Opps! Here is that link again: http://ruatliberty.com/ulrome/
ulrome erosion

Postby plook » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:20 pm

I would like you to tell us what the Environment Agency (EA)are doing to prevent costal erosion at Ulrome? Bet the answer is nothing at all. Prove me wrong.
All the EA does is determine the risk to assets and the agricultural land along the East Riding coast and disruption to a few peasants ,I bet, does not feature high enough in their fixed point scoring system. This of cause prevents them of doing what they say they are here to do ,which is to protect land from coastal erosion and prevent flooding. If you live in a rural environment forget it you are on your own. All they will do is send out one of their bull s--t brigade to tell you what they cannot do.
My advice would be to contact every parish council in every parish located on the coast and form a Lobbying Committee.Then start lobbying Parliament regularly get your local MP to lead this and systamaticaly
write to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council,The Environment Agency,
DEFRA, Look North , Hull Daley Mail and National Press, because this country needs more land not less.
( I'm sorry if you think my attack on EA is unjustified well believe me after having had dealings with them over the floods its not- they are pathetic).Read their website it tells you what you need to do but not what they do. Also have a look at the ERYC website on flooding, when the ditch is flooding due to failure to maintain it by the landowner you can phone the council who will come and sort it out- trouble is its to bloody late then. Its this jobs worth approach dont lets do anything unless we have to brigade. Well thats cleared my sinuses good luck with your campain.
plook
Valued Member

Postby plook » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:39 am

What I forgot to mention is that your website is well constructed and easy to use. The pics of Christmas erosion should be made into cards and sent to the appropriate.It must be gutting to know that sooner or later the sea will encroach your home and or business. Good Luck
plook
Valued Member

Postby ulrome erosion » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:32 pm

quote:
Originally posted by plook
I would like you to tell us what the Environment Agency (EA)are doing to prevent costal erosion at Ulrome? Bet the answer is nothing at all. Prove me wrong.
All the EA does is determine the risk to assets and the agricultural land along the East Riding coast and disruption to a few peasants ,I bet, does not feature high enough in their fixed point scoring system. This of cause prevents them of doing what they say they are here to do ,which is to protect land from coastal erosion and prevent flooding. If you live in a rural environment forget it you are on your own. All they will do is send out one of their bull s--t brigade to tell you what they cannot do.
My advice would be to contact every parish council in every parish located on the coast and form a Lobbying Committee.Then start lobbying Parliament regularly get your local MP to lead this and systamaticaly
write to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council,The Environment Agency,
DEFRA, Look North , Hull Daley Mail and National Press, because this country needs more land not less.
( I'm sorry if you think my attack on EA is unjustified well believe me after having had dealings with them over the floods its not- they are pathetic).Read their website it tells you what you need to do but not what they do. Also have a look at the ERYC website on flooding, when the ditch is flooding due to failure to maintain it by the landowner you can phone the council who will come and sort it out- trouble is its to bloody late then. Its this jobs worth approach dont lets do anything unless we have to brigade. Well thats cleared my sinuses good luck with your campaign.

E.A. = DEFRA ( Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs )
DEFRA has Overall Policy Responsibility
The three Key Legislations are:
1. Water Resources Act 1991
Responsibility for implementing policy is The Environment Agency though Regional Flood defense Committees.
The roles are General supervision for all matters relating to flood defense. Flood defense measures covering main rivers and sea and tidal flooding. Power to undertake defense measures in default of Internal Drainage Boards or on behalf of District and County Councils

2. Land Drainage Act 1991
Responsibility for implementing policy is The Internal Drainage Boards and the roles are Flood defense measures in Internal Drainage Districts

3. Coast Protection Act 1949
Responsibility for implementing policy are Local Authorities and they have two roles 1. Coast protection works and 2. Flood defense measures where not covered by the Environment Agency or Internal Drainage Board.
The full detail are available on the website at http://ruatliberty.com/ulrome/erosiondata.html
the PDF file is 8.11MB and will take a while to come on your screen, but it is a very informative document see it at:
http://ruatliberty.com/ulrome/erosionPDFS/4defendingtheercoastline.pdf
ulrome erosion

Postby ulrome erosion » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:36 pm

quote:
What I forgot to mention is that your website is well constructed and easy to use. The pics of Christmas erosion should be made into cards and sent to the appropriate.It must be gutting to know that sooner or later the sea will encroach your home and or business. Good Luck

Thanks for your comments, see the New years day erosion at http://ruatliberty.com/ulrome/ulrome%20erosion%2001-01-2008.html
ulrome erosion

Postby plook » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:27 pm

So how are they assisting you to prevent further erosion?
plook
Valued Member

Postby ulrome erosion » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm

quote:
So how are they assisting you to prevent further erosion?

No assistance to prevent further erosion is available in this area, It is the policy that needs to be changed, At the moment, if your house is being taken by coastal erosion the East Riding of Yorkshire Council monitor the situation and at the right time tell you that if you do not demolish your own house, they will demolish your house for you and then bill you for it (circa £20,000+). They are currently demands for a compensation scheme, but i fear this will not become available.

I hear Hornsea council has received a £270,000 grant had been awarded to enable officers to conduct a major new study into coastal erosion from Flamborough Head to Gibraltar Head in Lincolnshire.
ulrome erosion

Postby plook » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:39 pm

OK ,so no one is doing much to prevent coastal erosion and the EYCC charges 20k to knock your house down before it falls into the sea. What I do not understand that the agencies that you have described are not doing anything except monitor. If you had their money spent on monitoring you might be able to improve flood defenses. My advice would be to get all the local parish councils together to lobby Parliament to get something done sooner rather than later or it will be to late. In the 1950's there was a tidele surge accompanied by low pressure that caused severe flooding along the East Coast of Briton. It nearly happened last year at Yarmouth. If the occurs again there will be no more Ulrome to erode.
plook
Valued Member

Postby ulrome erosion » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:41 pm

I managed to make this page:
http://ruatliberty.com/ulrome/Elected_Representatives.html - It lists the people that try to change policy.

It seems sad that there is money available to save frogs and newts and birds, but none for people that lose their homes dues to erosion.
http://ulrome.ruatliberty.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6&sid=823a23fc035c64345644e548500529af

see the link from the erosion forum for the full 1951 north sea surge
http://ulrome.ruatliberty.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5&sid=0e5665d7ea9509fd2b97adc44abdd0b0
ulrome erosion

Return to Wolds Villages