Rispin in the Wolds

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'J' through 'R'

Rispin in the Wolds

Postby Pam Rispin » Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:32 am

Does anyone have any of the kind of information on this family that isn't normally found through internet searches ie: gravestone inscriptions, local knowledge. The Rispins were fairly populous in the Wolds from the time of the reformation (at least). If there is anyone related to the Rispins please e-mail me for information or check out my gedcom posting at the IGI site FamilySearch.org, you might find your Rispin relative. I'm also looking for information on the familys of Holiday and Lyon. The Holidays were living in Gowthorpe (Bishop Wilton) in the 18th and late 17th century and the Lyons lived in Settrington. The Harpers (another section of the Rispin ancestors) lived in Bishop Wilton - I'm also looking for information on them. There were Rispins in Kilham, one of them (William Rispin) worked as a Carrier and he had a family that I'm having difficulty piecing together.
Pam Rispin

Postby Dee » Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:07 pm

From the Driffield Times & General Advertiser - dates as indicated

Aug 6, 1864
Sarah GOWTHORPE of Hutton Cranwick was summoned by Diana RISPIN, for an assault. Complainant said on the 28th July, defendant, her mistress, went to her when she was milking a cow and after complaining about something she (complainant) knew nothing about, struck her with the strapping list. Fined 15s including costs. Mary TOMLINSON also charged her with assaulting her on the same day. Fined same; in default, 14 days imprisonment.

May 20, 1893
William RISPIN, of Kilham, was summoned by Henry HAGGITT, one of the surveyors for the parish of Kilham, for having his horse not under control whilst grazing. The complainant said the lanes were let subject to each horse having an attendant and in this instance, it was between 400 and 500 yards away from anyone. Defendant admitted the offence, but said the case had been brought out of spite. Ordered to pay 1s and costs.

Dee

Postby kglund » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:00 am

I have an Elizabeth Rispin (born in Fridaythorpe 1859) who married George Frederick Waites in 1874. George Frederick Waites was my GGmothers brother. They lived in Lund where their first daughter was born - Harriet Hannah b1876. They then moved to Kirk Deighton (N.Yorks) where Mary Jane b1879 and Margaret Ann b1880 was born. They moved back to Lund (possibly after his father's death) where George was a carrier.
kglund

Postby Pam Rispin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:44 am

Hello, thank you to everyone who posted here. I haven't checked this site for a while and I'm very grateful, there is some very interesting information here.

Elizabeth Rispin was born circa November 1858 in Fridaythorpe and she was the daughter of Paul Rispin and Hannah Hotham. I've checked the 1871 census returns recently and they provided much regarding this family.

She had two brothers and four sisters (that I know of), please contact me at mailto:pam@beldy.freeserve.co.uk if you would like further details, I can send you a gedcom file if you like.
Pam Rispin

Postby Pam Rispin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:48 am

Also, thank you for the census returns and the newspaper articles. I'm not sure who Diana Rispin was, that's a puzzler, but William Rispin worked as a Carrier and he would have been 70 at the time of the offence. He had a daughter called Grace Dianah, I wonder if this was her.
Pam Rispin

Postby compo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:56 pm

hello i have a rispin connection namely my 3x great aunt mary haram born north newbald circa 1860's married henry rispin born circa 1860's
they had
william rispin
charlotte ann rispin age 21 who married edgar morton age 20
on march 15th 1902
at st peters anlaby in sculcoates i am keen to trace any descendants of their children
then i think there was
charles rispin
thomas haram rispin
gertie rispin who i think married a mr perryman in sculcoates
fred rispin who married his cousin maryjane keenlyside a widow maiden name haram in morpeth
if you have any further information regarding these particular
rispins then i would like to know about them please i am thinking of going to beverley archives to look up their living descendants and the descendants of other family groupings i have found

regards

compo(kevin haram)

looking for haram,judson,morton,rispin,perryman,carling,dodson,moore,dukes,horsfield,all in the east riding of yorkshire
looking for haram,judson,morton,rispin,perryman,carling,dodson,moore,dukes,horsfield,all in the east riding of yorkshire
compo

Postby fiatuno49 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:51 am

To Pam Rispin...please reply

I'am wondering if you can give me an adresse, e-mail ,phonenumber or anything else from Linda Ann Rispin, Newcastle 1956 latest adress 9 Coppice Way, where she d'ont live anymore i presume.
I met here years ago and lost contact.....now i count on you, please

Greetings from Belgium

Tony
fiatuno49

Return to Surnames J-R